Who we are
The Master's Degree in Food Science and Technology is aimed at Italian and foreign students interested in the disciplines food technology, food safety and quality.
The Master's Degree Course is structured so as to represent the natural continuation of studies for graduates possessing university degrees in Food Science and Technology and in Gastronomic Sciences, but may also be of interest to graduates in other scientific-technical disciplines in the fields of chemistry, biology and engineering in possession of an adequate curriculum.
The main objective of the Master's Degree in Food Science and Technology is to provide students with advanced knowledge, skills and competences related to food processing and technology, food chemistry, microbiology, as well as economics and management, human nutrition, food quality and safety, that will allow them to operate in the public and private agri-food sector in leading positions with autonomous decisional abilities.
Master's degree in Food Science and Technology will provide students, at the end of the course, with the following knowledge and skills:
- basic knowledge in the fields of physics, technical physics, computer science, statistics, chemistry, physical chemistry and biology oriented to the application aspects of the food sector;
- high knowledge of the scientific method aimed at finalizing the basic and operational knowledge to solve the multiple technical and organizational problems of the food sector;
- ability to optimize production, conservation and distribution processes and to contribute to managing research and industrial development projects;
- ability to manage and promote food quality and safety in compliance with environmental protection regulations;
- high technical competence for verifying the organoleptic, hygienic and nutritional quality of foods, with the aid of innovative methods;
- basic competence in the management and organization of enterprises, agri-food chains and consulting firms and related services
- ability to communicate, to work in multidisciplinary groups,
For the purposes indicated, the curriculum of the Master's Degree in Food Science and Technology provides:
- the acquisition of in-depth knowledge on specific technological aspects of the food sector and related sectors, both general and specialist;
- activities and practical exercises dedicated to the knowledge of experimental and control methods and data processing;
- activities aimed at deepening knowledge on traditional and innovative technologies;
- external activities such as internships in companies, public administration structures and laboratories, as well as facilitating study stays at other Italian and European universities, also in the framework of international agreements.
To promote an internationalization-oriented teaching environment, Erasmus and Overworld programs are promoted in order to encourage student mobility for study stays, internships and thesis abroad.